loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in St. Paul?

Professionals in the City of St. Paul must possess a valid professional license to practice. The Minnesota ELicensing website provides access links to 49 different licensing agencies that issue occupational and professional licenses to over 200 categories of professionals in St. Paul. For example, building professionals in the City of St. Paul are required to obtain licenses from the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry. Before hiring any professional for a job, you should always confirm that this professional has obtained the relevant license required for your project. Licensing agencies typically provide online tools that you can utilize to verify the licensing status of the professionals that they regulate. For example, you can use the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry's License and Registration Lookup tool to verify the licenses of contractors and other building-related professionals.

Also, before you commence work on some types of projects in St. Paul, such as projects involving construction activities or home improvement, you must apply for the necessary permits. The city's Department of Safety & Inspections processes and issues permits that are essential for your project. You can contact this department at (651) 266-8989 for more information on permits and other relevant queries.

Do St. Paul Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

St. Paul has a structure in place that engages its residents through district councils, and there are currently 17 district councils in the city. To find out which district council your neighborhood falls into, you can use the city's District Council Directory. These district councils create an avenue for the residents to learn about the events happening in the city and neighborhood and they also collaborate with the city government to work on developmental projects that can improve life quality in their neighborhoods. Note that district councils are not authorized to issue permits, however, they work on improving the physical, social and economic structures in the neighborhoods. For example, the West Side Community Organization (District 3) will be working with the community to decide on the future of an undeveloped plot of land on St. Paul's West Side, located at 76 Baker St. East. Similarly, the Frogtown Neighborhood Association (District 7) and Summit University Planning Council (District 8) are collaborating on a housing and land use plan for the two communities to encourage policy recommendations, concrete site plans, and involvement of community members.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in St. Paul?

The Minnesota Attorney General's Office is responsible for reviewing and investigating consumer complaints in St. Paul. If you have been aggrieved by a business transaction, you can file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office by completing its online Consumer Assistance Request Form. You can also complete a Fraud Report Form if you are alleging fraud or scam. Alternatively, you can download and complete a printable Consumer Assistance Request Form or Fraud Report Form, and send it, along with copies of any relevant documents, via mail to:

  • Office of Minnesota Attorney General
  • 445 Minnesota Street
  • Suite 1400
  • St. Paul, MN 55101

Note that the Attorney General's Office cannot prosecute complaints relating to civil claims on your behalf. If you have a civil claim that is $15,000 or less, you can file a St. Paul small claims case at the Ramsey County Conciliation Court located at:

  • 15 W Kellogg Boulevard,
  • Room 170
  • St Paul, MN 55102
  • Phone: (651) 266-8230

Note that small claims disputes are resolved quickly without the need for you to hire an attorney. However, it is a good idea to get proper legal advice before proceeding with your claim. You can contact the Ramsey County Bar Association at (612) 752-6699 to request lawyer referral services.

Professions in St. Paul