loading Loading, please wait...

How to Verify a Professional's License in Rochester?

Before engaging a professional, it is crucial to confirm this professional's licensing status to ensure that this individual is allowed to operate in the City of Rochester. Professionals in Rochester are typically licensed at the state level by over 40 licensing agencies, including the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI), which licenses construction contractors and several other professionals. To confirm a professional's license, you can utilize the license search tool of the relevant licensing agency or contact this agency for inquiries or assistance. For example, to confirm a construction contractor's license, you can utilize the DLI's online license search tool. Alternatively, you can contact the Department at (651) 284-5031 or by email to verify the licenses of professionals regulated by it. Residents can find which agency regulates their intended professionals by exploring the Minnesota licensing agency list. In addition to obtaining a state-issued professional license, some professionals, such as sewer contractors and HVAC contractors, may be required to obtain a city-issued license in Rochester. To confirm if a professional needs a city-issued license, and if this requirement has been satisfied, residents can contact the Rochester City Clerk at (507) 328-2900 or by email.

Asides from verifying a professional's license, it is also crucial to check for other requirements relevant to your project. For example, before starting any construction project in Rochester, a contractor must obtain the appropriate construction permit from the city's Department of Building Safety. You can contact this Department at (507) 328-2600 for inquiries or assistance regarding construction permit requirements and processes.

Do Rochester Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Although there are several neighborhoods within Rochester City, all of these neighborhoods are organized into six wards. Residents of each ward elect a representative, while city residents elect a Council President at large. The representatives of each ward and the Council President constitute the Rochester City Council, which oversees the city's administration, creates laws and policies, and executes developmental projects. However, the City Council does not issue home improvement or construction permits. Nevertheless, it may oversee activities that relate to citywide construction activities or address housing issues. For example, the City Council recently approved a project involving construction on the North Broadway Avenue road and the repair or replacement of surrounding infrastructure. Also, the City Council extended the use of the Silver Lake fire station by The Landing, a non-governmental organization dedicated to helping homeless people across Rochester. The City Council voted to allow The Landing to continue using the fire station to coordinate its activities and proffer solutions to the city's homelessness problem until April 2022.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Rochester?

The Minnesota Attorney General (AG) Office addresses unfair business complaints from residents of Rochester City, and this Office receives such complaints online or by mail. Residents can file their complaints online by completing and submitting the online complaint form maintained by this Office. This form is available in four languages, including English and Spanish, and residents can choose their preferred language by utilizing the form's language dropdown options. Residents who wish to file their complaints by mail must download a complaint form, fill the form, and mail it to

  • Office of Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison
  • 445 Minnesota Street
  • Suite 1400
  • Saint Paul, MN 55101

For general inquiries or assistance, you can contact the Minnesota AG Office at (651) 296-3353 if you are calling from within the Twin Cities area or (800) 657-3787 if you are calling outside the Twin Cities area.

The Minnesota AG Office generally investigates a submitted complaint or refers the complaint to a more appropriate agency. However, the AG Office does not act as a personal representative for complainants, neither can it order any monetary compensation to a complainant. If you wish to be compensated for the unethical actions of a business or professional, you can claim compensation by filing a small claims case at the Conciliation Court in the Olmsted County District Courthouse. Note that you cannot claim more than $15,000 at the Conciliation Court. Finally, it is best to consult an attorney for legal advice before filing your small claims case.